Two A1s in One Week
We have just completed work on the oldest home to be retrofitted to A1 BER standard. The home was originally built in 1850. It is one of only 34 existing dwellings (not new builds) with a BER of A1 in Ireland and we are delighted to say we have added two in a week.
The other home, based in Dublin achieved an A1 BER rating and an air tightness of 0.994m3/hr/m2. This home had an E2 BER rating pre works and an air tightness of 14.58m3/hr/m2. The work carried out on the home included;
- Full building fabric upgrade using the fabric first approach:
- Insulated the roof
- Pumped the wall cavity
- Applied external wall insulation
- Replaced the existing floor with an insulated slab
- Upgraded all the windows and doors
- Various air tightness measures were undertaken to eliminate draughts
- Installed a whole house mechanical ventilation and heat recovery system
- Upgraded the heating system to a heat pump which heats the house and water.
- Downstairs heating is distributed using underground heating
- Upstairs heating is distributed using innovative modular wall heaters that are actually in the wall so no radiators taking up wall space.
- All lighting was upgraded to low energy lighting
- An array of PV panels was installed including battery storage.
- New extensions built to high energy efficiency standard
The homes join over 200 houses we have retrofitted to A3 BER standard or above, securing grant funding for 100% of these projects. Applications are now open for 2020 here.